Attorney of teen charged in fatal wreck seeks to move case to juvenile court

2013-08-06T16:11:00Z 2013-08-07T07:41:04Z Attorney of teen charged in fatal wreck seeks to move case to juvenile courtBy Stephen Rickerl/Fremont Tribune Fremont Tribune
August 06, 2013 4:11 pm  • 

The attorney for a Fremont teen charged in connection to a June 3 accident that killed three teens and critically injured a fourth has filed a motion to move the case to juvenile court.

Quinton M. Amundson, 16, is charged with willful reckless driving, a Class II misdemeanor; racing on the highway, a Class II misdemeanor; and driving left of center, an infraction.

The charges allege that on June 3 Amundson was racing a 1966 Ford Mustang driven by Jackson Blick when Blick’s vehicle rolled on Old Highway 8 west of U.S. Highway 275, killing Blick and Tyler Walling. Trey Hansen died later from injuries sustained in the accident.

A fourth teen, Jake Burnside, was airlifted to Creighton University Medical Center in critical condition.

During a first appearance Tuesday in Dodge County Court, Amundson’s attorney, Michael Wilson, told the court he has filed a motion to transfer the case to juvenile court.

Outside the courtroom Wilson said he believes the case should be moved to juvenile court for obvious reasons, including Amundson’s age and the circumstances of the case. He declined further comment on the case, but said Amundson’s thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims.

Dodge County Attorney Oliver Glass said he anticipated the defense would make the motion to transfer.  

“My policy is to oppose the motion to transfer to juvenile court in a matter that is as serious in nature as this is,” Glass said. “Driving automobiles is dangerous. It’s an adult activity and it’s my position that individuals that take on this responsibility … ought to be held to the same standards as adults.”

Glass previously told the Tribune that if convicted on the willful reckless driving charge, Amundson could lose driving privileges for one year.

A hearing on the motion to transfer to juvenile court is scheduled for Aug. 22. 

Copyright 2015 Fremont Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Featured Businesses


More Local Businesses