Fremont residents should be outraged and opposed to the "high-density" SunRidge Place development planned for the area west of the Fremont Middle School and Johnson Crossing Academic Center.

With minimal public information and homeowner notice, the developer's rezoning request was to be heard and immediately approved the day after Christmas when citizens would be least aware. Approval would come by waiving the city's "three-reading rule". However, council members wisely chose transparency over the developer's request, deciding to adhere to city rules. 

Two of the three required readings have been held. Rezoning of RR to R-4 (residential high-density) is extremely detrimental to the area and to Fremont for various reasons.

As platted, this area would not become the expected "low-density" Day Acres II as many were told when they purchased homes and the schools were built. Instead it's to become a 557 unit area emphasizing 267 apartments, 82 row homes and and 96 duplexes, along with only 112 R-1/R-2 smaller single family homes.

R-4 rezoning is needed for high-density development. And if allowed, it serves to undermine adjacent R-1/R-2 property values in Day Acres and properties to the west, from Military to First St. in exchange for developer rental income opportunity. "High-density" development would potentially put 500 to 1,000 vehicles in play to compete with congested daily traffic already on Military Ave., Jack Sutton Dr. and First St., exponentially increasing current traffic backups and student safety issues.

With limited canvassing hours, over 150 area residents eagerly signed a petition asking council members to slow down and hold off on high-density rezoning approval until the council got answers to critical issues surrounding home values, student safety, street widening, traffic controls, overhead walkways, water drainage/flooding issues, a QwikTrip and unintended secondary impacts to Howard Elementary. 

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

Please consider the safety of your own children and the plight of area property owners by contacting your city council member. Tell them that you support "proper" housing development but oppose, or want the council to slow down, approval of this high-density development so concerns can be fully assessed and mitigated before, not after, rezoning approval or construction.

Brad Yerger



Load comments