Husker logo

Nebraska nearly overcame 28 percent shooting in the first half as Penn State held on for a 76-74 overtime win on Friday in State College, Pennsylvania.

After building a 33-24 lead at the break, the Nittany Lions (13-6, 3-3 Big Ten) reeled off the first six points of the second half as part of a 9-2 run to push its lead to 42-26 less than 2 minutes into the second half.

But the furious play of Glynn Watson and Isaac Copeland and Nebraska’s switch to a 1-3-1 zone late in the second half, cooled Penn State to close out regulation.

The Huskers (12-7, 3-3) cut their deficit to 59-53 when Isaiah Roby hit the first of two free throws. After Penn State answered with a dunk by Lamar Stevens, Copeland countered with a 3-pointer with 4:08 remaining to return things to a two-possession game.

Watson scored 12 points in the first 13 minutes of the game, but managed just two over the next 23-plus minutes, until he canned a step-back, pull-up, deep three to cut the Penn State lead to 61-59 with 3:17 to play.

Tony Carr’s three-pointer at the other end missed, but the Nittany Lions were called for a foul on the rebound. Watson hit one of two free throws and the lead was 61-60.

Penn State dug out two offensive rebounds on its ensuing possession before Mike Watkins was fouled and hit both free throws for a 63-60 Penn State lead.

Copeland scored the next three points to tie it at 63. The teams traded buckets, the last coming on a Watson pull-up from off the right elbow for another tie at 65-65. It stayed that way at the end of regulation.

The teams traded misses, then traded threes before Roby was fouled on a drive to the hoop. He hit both free throws for a 70-68 lead with 2:50 left in overtime.

Following a Penn State miss, it looked like Roby gave Nebraska a four-point lead, but his jumper didn’t beat the shot clock and a Watkins putback at the other end tied the game with under 2 minutes left.

Watson hit the back end of two free throws for a 71-70 Nebraska lead. But Carr answered with a big jump shot for a 72-71 lead and a Watson three at the other end was off the mark.

Carr drew a foul at the other end and made both free throws for a 74-71 with :23.6 left.

It wasn’t over though, when Roby threaded the needle to Anton Gill for a three from the right corner to tie the game with :14 left. But Carr hit a pull-up jumper with 2.7 left for the 76-74 lead.

Roby’s 40-footer at the horn missed.

Copeland finished with 21 points and eight rebounds and Watson also added 21 points. Roby added a career-high 12 points to go with six rebounds.

Nebraska’s leading scorer, James Palmer, was hampered by foul trouble throughout the game and finished with five points and four rebounds.


Sports Editor

Load comments