Try 1 month for 99¢

PLATTSMOUTH – The bond for a Union man who allegedly caused an armed standoff with authorities will remain at its current $1 million level.

James B. McClane, 39, appeared in Cass County District Court Tuesday morning for arraignment and bond reduction hearings. McClane has been incarcerated since late August on a bond of $1 million, 10 percent. He would have to post a minimum of $100,000 in order to be released from Cass County Jail.

District Court Judge Michael Smith heard arguments from both sides during the bond reduction hearing. Defense attorney Julie Bear asked the court to reduce the amount from $1 million, 10 percent, to $50,000, 10 percent. She said McClane did not have a lengthy criminal record and would not be a flight risk. She also told the court her client would be willing to take part in a pre-trial release program.

Deputy County Attorney Steven Sunde told the court he felt the $1 million bond was appropriate given the circumstances of the case. He said the state felt McClane would present a risk to other community members if the bond was reduced.

Smith ruled the bond would remain set at $1 million, 10 percent. He said the safety of the public was the paramount factor in his decision.

McClane also took part in an arraignment hearing in court. He was charged with attempted first-degree assault on an officer, use of a firearm to commit a felony, unlawful discharge of a firearm and terroristic threats. McClane pled not guilty to all four charges.

McClane was arrested Aug. 27 after he was allegedly involved in a standoff that lasted nearly eight hours. Authorities from multiple local and state agencies arrived in Union after gunshots were heard at a property.

McClane allegedly fired several gunshots at Nebraska State Patrol troopers and SWAT/Response Team members during the standoff. Sunde told the court authorities found a bullet slug in the siding of a neighboring home.

Authorities deployed tear gas inside the home during the incident. McClane walked out of the house on his own accord approximately 20 minutes later. Authorities took him from Union to Bellevue Medical Center for a mental and physical evaluation. He was then transported to Cass County Jail.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments