Try 1 month for 99¢
Cass County Courthouse photo

PLATTSMOUTH – A Plattsmouth man who collided with a power pole in Beaver Lake during a drunk-driving incident last summer entered a plea Monday morning.

Beaver Lake resident John P. Folsom, 43, accepted a plea agreement during an appearance in Cass County District Court. Folsom pled no contest to one Class W misdemeanor of driving under the influence of alcohol-third offense.

The state agreed to dismiss a Class IV felony charge of driving while revoked from DUI and a Class III misdemeanor of reckless driving in exchange for the plea. The plea bargain did not contain any sentencing recommendations.

Folsom was arrested July 28 after he drove from Plattsmouth to Beaver Lake in an intoxicated manner. Authorities received a report at 9:27 p.m. that a reckless driver was inside Plattsmouth city limits. A citizen called emergency dispatchers and reported a man in a pickup truck had almost collided with gas pumps and a parked vehicle at Hy-Vee Gas on Highway 75.

Plattsmouth police arrived at the gas station within minutes but Folsom had fled the scene. A citizen began following Folsom on Highway 75 and provided updates to authorities on his location. The citizen became more alarmed after watching Folsom drive into a ditch and weave across the highway.

A CCSO deputy was stationed at Beaver Lake at the time and learned Folsom’s vehicle was heading that way. The citizen then reported Folsom’s truck had left the highway near 15th Street and Rock Bluff Road. The vehicle went airborne at the site and collided with a parked car after severing a wooden power pole near the road.

CCSO deputies, Murray Fire and Rescue personnel and Omaha Public Power District employees all responded to the scene. Cass County Attorney Colin Palm said they had trouble reaching Folsom’s car because live electrical wires from the power pole had fallen onto the ground. Authorities closed Rock Bluff Road for a short time because of the live wires.

Rescue units removed Folsom from his truck and transported him to University of Nebraska Medical Center’s trauma unit for treatment of his injuries. Medical staff conducted a blood draw at 11:18 p.m. and found Folsom’s blood-alcohol content level was .109.

Authorities conducted a background check while Folsom was in the hospital and discovered he had been driving on a suspended operator’s license. He had been barred from driving for 15 years due to previous DUI convictions in Lincoln.

Folsom remains free on bond. A sentencing hearing will take place March 4. Defense attorney Ann Addison-Wageman told the court Folsom had recently obtained a chemical dependency evaluation.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments