You are the owner of this page.
A1 A1
Brent Wasenius / Jack Denker / Fremont Tribune 

Fremont Bergan senior Haley Kempf, center, drives to the basket as Milee Young of Arlington defends during Saturday night's game. Kempf scored 16 points, but the Lady Knights suffered a 51-49 loss.

Group's effort leads to New Year's rescue of elusive stray dog

While most people spend New Year’s Eve sipping champagne and making resolutions to better themselves throughout the next 365 days — a group of dedicated volunteers and staff at Furever Home Inc. were in the eleventh hour of a weeks-long rescue mission.

Instead of being surrounded by family, friends and libations — members of the local dog rescue organization spent the last few days of 2018 staking out fast food restaurant parking lots and setting a live trap with tripe and chicken gizzards in an effort to rescue an elusive stray dog that had been wandering the 23rd Street corridor for a month.

“We watched her pretty solid the week leading up to New Year’s, and on-and-off the week prior,” Martha Bang said. “I don’t think any of us expected her to survive because it was so cold on New Year’s Eve.”

Weeks of diligence among the group of dog lovers finally paid off on New Year’s Day when Bang and several other members of the group were able to wrangle the pooch with icy-blue eyes after it had been sighted in various locations along 23rd Street throughout December.

“We got her and that’s all that matters,” Deb George, president of Furever Home Inc. said. “It was just such a huge sigh of relief — and we are all just so glad she is OK.”

The group’s first encounter with the dog, now named Grace, was on social media after someone reported seeing a stray dog on Broad Street to the “Lost Pets of Fremont Nebraska Area” Facebook page which is run by Melissa Rief.

That reported sighting came on Dec. 10, and according to Rief sightings kept coming in across town about the brown colored, medium-sized stray running roughshot throughout the streets of Fremont.

“We were getting reports of her anywhere from Menards all the way to Sapp Bros,” Rieff said. “They were mostly along 23rd Street, but she (Grace) had a pretty big radius.”

So the group of volunteers and Furever Home staff—made up of Bang, George, Rief, Cindi Schumacher, Donna Dodge, Jen Coulter, Morgan Kuehler, and others—decided to mobilize to try and catch the oft-sighted stray to get her out of the cold and hopefully into a newly adopted home.

After determining where Grace had been spending most of her time, in fields just north of Wal-Mart and Menards and at garbage bins in parking lots at businesses along the south side of 23rd Street (ALDI’s, Applebee’s, Jimmy John’s, SONIC, Taco Johns) the group began drawing shifts to try to keep an eye on the stray dog.

“We started reaching out to see if we could find a live trap, and where we would put it, and a bunch of us just started watching for her,” Bang said.

When several attempts to catch the dog by hand failed, the group then upped the ante by acquiring a live trap from another dog rescue operation in Columbus.

“Melissa put us in touch with Morgan (Kuehler) who had a big live trap,” Bang said. “So we drove up to Duncan, loaded up the trap and we set it where we thought she was base camping at night.”

Kuehler, who lives in Columbus, came to Fremont to help set the trap and put up trail cameras to try and get video of the elusive Grace.

They set the trap on the northwest side of Wal-Mart and baited it with “all of the stinky things” as Bang described it.

“I couldn’t tell you how much raw chicken I had in my hands,” Bang said. “But that first night we had the trap set Grace came within just a few feet of going for it—but something spooked her and she ran off.”

When the trap wasn’t working, Schumacher contacted a friend of hers who is an avid hunter and asked what they could do to try and entice the dog.

“Once it freezes outside scent doesn’t go very far and he suggested we do a bacon burn,” she said. “You just put a pan on a campfire stove and you throw bacon in there and just let it burn. So we got a trash can and a little stove and we packed a skillet full of bacon, gizzards, you name it we lit it on fire.”

But the bacon burn was to no avail, as Grace remained on the run despite the group’s best efforts.

With time running out on 2018, the group felt like the time to catch Grace alive was also running out as temperatures dipped below freezing and wind gusted over 35 mph on New Year’s Eve.

“I don’t know how many times I looked at her and thought I don’t know if we are going be doing this tomorrow—I thought it was going to be a recovery on Tuesday,” George said about having to call it a night on New Year’s Eve. “It was just so cold.”

But the stubborn dog who refused to be caught also refused to succumb to the frigid temperatures and made it through what would end up being her last night alone in the cold.

As the sun rose on the first day of 2019, so did Schumacher and Bang who again set their sights on catching Grace.

Bang began the morning by going to every restaurant along the southeastern strip of 23rd Street and asked managers to make sure their garbage was secure and outdoor enclosures securely locked.

“I said I know it’s a lot to ask but can you keep them tight because that is what she is eating,” Bang said.

She also asked that employees, no matter how good-hearted their intentions might be, to not attempt to feed Grace.

“I yelled at some poor guy at Jimmy John’s who was walking outside to give her bread,” she said. “We explained to them that we can appreciate everyone trying help and not wanting her to be hungry—but we need her to be hungry—so she goes to the food that we have to her.”

But in the end, it was Grace’s dumpster-diving ways that ultimately led to her rescue.

Schumacher, who was out on the morning of New Year’s Day tracking Grace, watched through binoculars from her truck as the dog ventured into a garbage enclosure outside of Applebee’s.

“Applebee’s had the gate to their dumpster closed, but because of how the trash was set in there it literally closed to the width of one person,” she said. “I saw her go in there and I grabbed a leash and my phone and hopped out of my truck—and when I got there, there was no way for her to get out.”

When Schumacher came upon the garbage enclosure she was also still recording a Facebook live feed so the rest of the group could follow along.

“I just stood there and said, ‘I have her trapped! I have her trapped!’” she exclaimed. “All of a sudden 10 cars pulled up like it was a SWAT team.”

Dodge and her husband quickly responded as well as Bang—who would be the first sent in to try and corral Grace due to her small stature. She was followed by Dodge’s husband for reinforcement.

“We didn’t know how Grace was going to react, so we wanted to be careful,” Bang said. “But she kind of slipped past me and realized she couldn’t get around. I had this slip lead (leash) on me and I just slipped it on her and I was like oh my God, I got her.”

After Bang was able to finally catch Grace, the word spread quickly amongst the other members of the group.

“I was at lunch with my family when I heard, and I just kind of stood up and said oh my god I have to go,” Coulter said.

Grace, who at that point still didn’t have a name, was brought back to Furever Home Inc.’s location at 236 W. Sixth Street where she got lots of food and water, a warm place to rest and plenty of belly rubs.

“It was total relief,” George said. “If anyone didn’t sleep Tuesday night it had to be from adrenaline, but by Wednesday I slept like a teenager knowing she was safe.”

The group then enlisted their social media followers to choose a name for the elusive pup—with the voters settling on Grace—which is short for “by the grace of God we finally got her!”

Grace is now getting acclimated after getting started on de-wormer medication and topical flea treatment after first being rescued.

She will soon take a trip to the vet, and if all goes well will be adoptable in the next few weeks, according to George.

“I would have no reason to believe why they wouldn’t give her a clean bill of health, and once we do that she’s old enough to go get spayed and then she will be adoptable,” she said.

spotlighttop story
Women remember Blizzard of 1949

Fran Zeleny was only 8 years old at the time, but she remembers the Blizzard of 1949.

A car ride through bitter cold and blowing snow is something she recalls even 70 years later.

Elvera Davis remembers huge snowdrifts and the means used to get food to relatives who lived many miles away.

Both Fremonters are among those with recollections of a storm that left hazards even months later.

The Blizzard of 1949 is considered one of the worst on record for the northern Plains region, states data from the National Weather Service. The first storm started Jan. 2 and continued through Jan. 5 with heavy snow, strong winds and cold temperatures.

Twelve deaths were reported in Wyoming and 20 in Nebraska.

Storms that continued through the winter produced enormous snow drifts that paralyzed much of the region.

Some accounts indicate that bad weather actually started in November 1948, but all agree it was a long, tough winter.

A 2009 issue of Nebraska Life magazine described the winter this way: “Drifts 30 to 40 feet tall melted, froze and re-drifted for five months. Ranchers in Piper Cubs and Army pilots in giant cargo planes airlifted medicine, hay, food, coal and the infirm across the frozen land.”

Back in January 1949, Zeleny and her family lived on a farm about 3 miles east of Herman. Her family included parents, Raymond and Ruth Noyes, and younger siblings, Clyde and Louise.

“I remember going to school that morning,” Zeleny said, adding that her parents took her.

Zeleny was a student in a country school, heated by an old wood-burning stove. Water came from a well outside the school. Bathrooms were outside, too.

The school had about eight students, who went outdoors for mid-morning recess. It was snowing then, but not bad. Their teacher, Mrs. Plumber, called them inside and kept watching out of the window.

“I think the wind is picking up and it’s going to get pretty cold,” Mrs. Plumber said.

Zeleny could tell that her teacher was very worried. And there was no phone at the school.

Near lunchtime, Zeleny’s dad and the family’s neighbor, Lumir Lhotak, came to the school and said they were taking children home.

“By then, it was snowing really hard,” she said.

Mrs. Plumber didn’t know how she’d get home, but the men said they’d come back after dropping off the children and take her to the school superintendent’s house.

The car used to transport the children was less than elegant.

It looked like a burned-out wreck and Zeleny thinks plans had been made to turn it into a race car.

“They had roll bars in it,” she said.

But it had no windows.

Her dad, who owned the vehicle, sat in the car’s only seat. Lhotak sat on a five-gallon bucket nearby and the children sat in the back on the bare metal floor.

Before the group left, the superintendent arrived and took the teacher and his daughter, who attended the school, to his house.

The roads were becoming snow-packed by the time the car with the other children left.

Lhotak had brought a shovel along.

“If we’d get stuck, he’d shovel it (the car) out and off we’d go again,” she said.

They got stuck several times.

Zeleny remembers the wind blowing horribly and being “as cold as ice.” She remembers all the snow.

“There was so much. It piled so high. I can remember it was over the fence line,” she said.

Three children were dropped off at one house and a girl at another.

Lhotak and his two children were dropped off at a third.

Zeleny and her dad eventually made it home, where her mom hugged her.

Looking back, Zeleny appreciates her dad and Lhotak for coming to get the children.

Wood in the stove would have lasted only so long. Water would have frozen.

“I feel it was a good thing they figured out some way to come and get us,” she said.

Davis, who was a schoolteacher, was sick that day of the storm.

At the time, she lived 10 miles southwest of Scribner.

“Mostly what I remember is, farther away, my sister-in-law lived in Page (Nebraska) and they had drop food (by airplane) so they had enough to eat,” Davis said.

Davis also had an aunt and uncle who lived by Wakefield.

“Their 50th anniversary was in March and at that time, the snowdrifts were still 10-feet high and it was one-way traffic on the country roads,” she said.

Seven decades after that winter, temperatures have been mild in the Fremont area during early January. Skies have been blue and streets are dry.

Even so, people like Zeleny and Davis won’t forget a time when blizzards pounded the area and leaving behind some unforgettable moments.

spotlightalerttop story
City Council
Council agenda set for Tuesday

The Fremont City Council is set to discuss two items brought forward by members of the governing body at its meeting on Tuesday.

The meeting is set for 7 p.m. in the City Council Chambers at 400 E. Military Avenue.

One item, brought forth by Councilmember Susan Jacobus, seeks an update on a factual investigation and legal analysis of unpaid earnest money/escrow and other expenses and fees resulting from a purchase agreement signed between the City of Fremont and RTG Medical Inc., which is being undertaken by City Attorney Mark Enenbach.

The Council unanimously passed a resolution authorizing the City Attorney to pursue the fact-finding investigation during its meeting on Dec. 20, 2018.

The amended resolution unanimously passed by the council charged the City Attorney with investigating the legality of the contract, as well as issues regarding city administration’s handling of the matter. However, the resolution did not direct legal counsel to initiate actions to collect the unpaid earnest/escrow monies.

“This is not really about RTG as a business or their contributions to the community,” Councilmember Brad Yerger said during discussion of the matter on Dec. 20. “It seems to me that there are three issues here: It’s a matter of contract and contract law. It’s a matter of ordinance enforcement and ordinance law for the municipal code of the City of Fremont, and the authority and communication to and from council and actions taken with or without council permission once ordinances are approved.”

The full story regarding the resolution authorizing the investigation into the agreement between the City of Fremont and RTG Medical can be found on the Fremont Tribune website at:

The council will also consider a resolution being brought forth by Yerger, which seeks to request the attendance of representatives from Time Warner Cable/Spectrum at the Jan. 29 council meeting to address their Franchise Agreement with the City of Fremont as well as service outages and complaints being made by the public, according to information released with the City Council agenda.

The resolution also asks that the city council appoint and authorize a committee made of up council members to make an on-site visit and inspection of Time Warner Cable/Spectrum records relating to service complaints, outages, repairs, construction, and equipment relating to the services provided under the terms of their Franchise Agreement with the City of Fremont.

The City Council’s full agenda can be found online at