Subscribe for 17¢ / day
Accident.JPG

It’s been a busy week for North Bend volunteer firefighters and rescue squad personnel.

Early Wednesday afternoon, the rescue squad was called to Casey’s General Store on U.S. Highway 30, where a clerk had two fingers stuck in a coin drop machine, said Fire Chief Jeremy Knapp.

The department got the call at 1:09 p.m.

“We had to disassemble the safe (to free her fingers),” Knapp said.

The clerk’s fingers were released from the machine by 1:44 p.m.

Fremont Fire Department came to the scene to help with pain management. The clerk was transported to Fremont Health with assistance of the Fremont Fire Department.

North Bend fire and rescue personnel had other calls earlier in the week.

At 8:48 a.m., Monday, they were called to a possible structure fire at 140 W. 13th St., in North Bend.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from roof vents on the outside of the one-story house.

No one was injured and a resident had been able to leave the structure safely with a dog.

“When we went in, the primary source (of the fire) was in the bathroom, in the ceiling; So we pulled the ceiling out, found the fire, extinguished it and kept it to that area,” Knapp said. “After that, we just checked everything else and made sure it didn’t spread.”

The fire was under control at 9:39 a.m.

Knapp said Morse Bluff and Fremont Rural volunteer firefighters were called in to provide mutual aid. About 25 firefighters responded to the scene.

Knapp said the cause of the fire was electrical and estimated damage at about $10,000.

A firefighter was injured on a Tuesday night call.

Firefighters were called just after 9 p.m. to 721 E. 10th St., in North Bend. About a dozen responded to the scene.

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

“We found a light haze of smoke in the house,” Knapp said. “We shut off the power and then we went through and searched the house.”

Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera.

“We found the source of the heat was a fan in the kitchen area,” Knapp said.

The fan was removed.

Prior to that, however, a firefighter was checking the attic for a possible source of the fire when he fell off a ladder and received a minor shoulder injury.

Two people, who’d been in the house, were not injured.

The firefighters were back at the station by 9:45 p.m.

0
2
0
3
0

News Editor

Tammy Real-McKeighan is news editor of the Fremont Tribune. She covers news, features, religion stories and writes the weekly faith-based, Spiritual Spinach column.

Load comments