Try 1 month for 99¢

OMAHA -- Omaha North spoiled Fremont High School's first postseason trip since 2008 by downing the Tigers 47-7 on Friday at Kinnick Stadium.

The Vikings were able to control the Tigers throughout the first half, driving down the field and scoring on their first possession to take a 7-0 lead with 9:36 left in the quarter.

North relied on a heavy diet of running backs Milton Sargbah and Zander Gray. North ran six straight rushing plays with Gray taking it in from 14 yards out.

The Tigers looked strong on their first offensive possession. They converted an early fourth-down attempt at the FHS 40 on a quarterback sneak by Riley Harms. FHS moved into North territory on a Cody Carlson run, but were eventually forced to punt.

It stayed 7-0 entering the second quarter.

“I thought defensively we did some really good stuff against them, but when you play you have to put it all together,” Fremont coach Seth McClain said.

North's offense got going in the second quarter. Sargbah scored on a 1-yard touchdown run before the Tigers lost a fumble at the FHS 23. Gray scored his second touchdown to make it 20-0 with 9:42 left in the half.

The Vikings opted for trickery as they recovered an onside kick on the following play at the FHS 46.

“They are good, they are big and physical and you can’t give them the ball and make those mistakes,” McClain said. “We made fatal mistakes and you just can’t do that against this team and expect to win.”

Sargbah's 2-yard TD gave the Vikings a 26-0 lead at halftime.

In the second half the FHS offense found success against North, but turnovers would again hamper the Tigers.

On its first drive of the third quarter, Fremont moved into Viking territory on a 12-yard run by Dylan Kor. A few plays later, Harms would complete a 10-yard pass to Nate Grimm giving FHS a first down at the Vikings' 36.

On the following play, the turnover bug would again bite the Tigers as a Harms pass was tipped at the line by Ronneil Wells and intercepted by Jai’Dyn Hughes.

The Vikings would capitalize on the turnover as Sargbah scored on a 44-yard touchdown run to make it 33-0 with 5:57 left in the third quarter.

The Tigers would finally punch one in the end zone on their next possession as they drove 63 yards.

The methodical drive took five minutes as Fremont used a mixture of pass and run plays to move the ball down to the North 1.

Harms would punch it in on a quarterback sneak to make the score 33-7 with 56 second remaining in the third.

“We made them earn it,” McClain said. “I thought we played physical and we battled but they just had a little more firepower than we did.”

North added two more touchdowns on its way to advancing to the quarterfinals.

“We don’t want this to be a one-time deal, and we plan on getting back next year,” McClain said. “I hope these young guys take note of what these seniors did. This senior class is the one who did it. We’ve had a lot of people talk, but these guys did it. They dedicated themselves to doing this, and they are just a great group of kids. “

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Sports Editor

Load comments